Friday, January 20, 2017

Review: The Con Season: A Novel of Survival Horror

The Con Season: A Novel of Survival Horror The Con Season: A Novel of Survival Horror by Adam Cesare
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

When five horror actors in various states of their careers are recruited for an interactive horror convention, they get more than they bargained for...

I've read a few novels that take place at conventions in the last few years. I Am Providence, Night of the Living Trekkies, and Shatnerquake come to mind. I keep seeing Adam Cesare's name pop up so I decided to give Con Season a shot.

The title is a little misleading. While it takes place in a convention of sorts, Camping Season might have been more appropriate. Anyway, Con Season is some bloody good fun.

Much like the guests at conventions of this type, the main characters are a mix of washed up has-beens and a rising star. It's not readily apparent which of them will survive, though three of them were more detailed than the others. The setup is a twist on the old "man getting hunted for sport" trope, only in this case, they're being hunted for fun, and being filmed to boot.

The body count is pretty high, as is the gore factor. It was a quick, fun read but I almost wish it would have went longer. While I like my horror short, the ending felt a little rushed to me. Some people's deaths were a little too easy.

The concept was a little too plausible in the age of reality TV, making for an unsettling read. Con Season is a fun horror novel that can be devoured in an extended sitting. You could find a lot worse ways to spend a few hours reading. 3.5 out of 5 stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment