Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Review: The Mind is a Razorblade

The Mind is a Razorblade The Mind is a Razorblade by Max Booth III
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

When a man wakes on a river bank, half-dead with two corpses, no memories, and unpredictable telekinetic powers, people have a lot of explaining to do...

The guys from Kraken Press sent me this to read at some point and it's taken me two years to finally get around to reading it.

The Mind is a Razorblade is one of those tales where I had no idea what was going to happen next. When you start with an amnesiac protagonist, all bets are off. The book has a noir feel to it much of the time and the what-the-fuckery level is pretty high. Also, spiders. There are a lot of spiders in this book.

Actually, the less I say, the better. As Bob pieces things together, there are a lot of laughs, gore, and unexpected twists. I don't want to spoil anything but the harvesters are pretty creepy and you know you're probably not in the best of situations when someone hands you a cooler with a human heart in it.

At various times, The Mind is a Razorblade reminded me of the movie Dark City and some of the hard boiled classics. Also, I was reminded of Roger Zelazny's Nine Princes in Amber, mostly because of the wise ass lead stricken with amnesia.

The Mind is a Razorblade is a fun thriller for those who don't mind excessive weirdness. 3 out of 5 stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment